Rewire.News (www.rewire.news) is a nonprofit media organization devoted to publishing evidence-based news, analysis, commentary, and investigative reporting on reproductive and sexual health, rights, and justice. Our work is based on the core roles of journalism in a democratic society: to speak truth, foster public knowledge, and provide facts on issues more commonly shrouded in misinformation and ideology. Rewire.News is an independent 501(c)(3) organization and an equal opportunity employer; we encourage applications from qualified individuals of all races, ethnic groups, and genders.
Rewire.News is hiring an Art Director to help us build and grow our multimedia programming on sex, abortion, parenthood, and power. The Art Director will be equal parts supervisor/strategist and hands-on creator, working as part of our editorial leadership team to supercharge the conversations on our issues. The ideal candidate should have deep expertise in at least one major multimedia platform (video, podcasting, visual journalism, etc.) and be conversant in all of them. We’re looking for a self-starter with a great sense of humor who loves collaboration and mentorship.
Preference will be given to applicants who are well-versed in the issues we cover, creative and detail-oriented, committed to evidence-based journalism, and able to move swiftly in a fast-paced environment.
The Art Director will:
- Conceptualize, plan, and produce impactful video, audio, photographic and comics journalism for consumption across social media, the News site, and other platforms;
- Work closely with organizational and editorial leadership to align multimedia programming with overall News priorities and content;
- Lead, produce, and/or edit News podcasts and audio programming;
- Devise, write, film, and/or edit original video productions;
- Manage and evaluate all News multimedia and social media staff members with an eye towards continual professional development;
- Oversee the production of photojournalism, social media images, data visualizations, article imagery, and other visual projects and products;
- Oversee or ensure the execution of the social media strategy across all social platforms, including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and more;
- Research, test, and implement a standardized software and tool environment for multimedia production;
- Manage the homepage and layout of all multimedia programming on News;
- Train staff in best practices for audio recording and video/photography for livestreaming, social media clips, embedded visuals, and more;
- Create and follow a robust qualitative and quantitative reporting framework to evaluate and inform program performance;
- Ensure high levels of quality, excellence, and relevance in all work produced;
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position demonstrates:
- At least four (4) years of video and/or audio production experience, preferably in a journalism or high-visibility social media environment or agency;
- Deep understanding of the current state of the field of multimedia journalism and best practices across video, podcasting, comics, photography and other emerging fields;
- At least two (2) years of supervising direct reports, preferably in a journalism or social media environment, including the ability to ensure accountability and develop staff professionally;
- Demonstrated success in project leadership roles, delivering impactful work on time and within budget;
- Expertise in media production software such as the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition), Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, Hindenburg, and others;
- Familiarity with industry standard media analytics tools like Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Apple Podcasts, Ahrefs, and others;
- Ability to set and achieve own priorities and goals, keeping them in line with overall publication priorities with minimal oversight;
- Demonstrated experience with hiring and managing contract workers and ensuring projects are completed;
- Understanding of media publishing tools such as WordPress, podcast platforms, YouTube, Vimeo, HTML, CSS, and others;
- Familiarity with administrative software tools such as the Google Suite, Dropbox, Slack, and others;
- A commitment to journalistic ethics and reporting best practices;
- Understanding of and interest in reproductive and sexual health, rights, and justice;
- Is willing and able to work evenings and weekends when necessary;
- Is a creative self-starter with a strong work ethic, good sense of humor, great organizational skills, and ability to work comfortably and effectively in a fast-paced environment;
- Skilled in teamwork and collaboration - and can work, alone, as part of a team, and across teams - under time pressure, to multi-task and deliver great work with ease and grace;
- Ability to work remotely and on your own while also being present for your job and meeting your responsibilities;
- Willingness to follow and operate within stated News policies.
Rewire.News is primarily a virtual organization and therefore, candidates for this position must have a home or other location with secure Internet access from which to work. However, ideal candidates will be based in either the New York City or Washington, DC Metro areas.
Rewire.News offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes a 401(k) plan with employer contributions; health and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; vacation and sick leave; and employer-paid life insurance, AD&D, STD and LTD. Salary range: $80-90k, depending on demonstrated experience, skills, and seniority.
In addition to your resume and a compelling cover letter that includes why you are interested in this position at Rewire.News, please provide a portfolio or samples of your multimedia work.