Rewire.News (www.rewire.news) is a nonprofit media organization devoted to publishing evidence-based news, analysis, commentary, and investigative reporting on reproductive and sexual health, rights, and justice. Our work is based on the core roles of journalism in a democratic society: to speak truth, foster public knowledge, and provide facts on issues more commonly shrouded in misinformation and ideology. Rewire.News is an independent 501(c)(3) organization and an equal opportunity employer; we encourage applications from qualified individuals of all races, ethnic groups, and genders.
Rewire.News is hiring an Associate Editor who will work alongside the editorial team in publishing content that meets the highest-quality standards of journalism. The Associate Editor’s responsibilities include:
- Assist editors with shepherding stories from brainstorm, through the commission and final edit, including assisting with multimedia projects and multi-channel planning;
- Editorial planning and coverage of specific editorial tentpoles throughout the year;
- Work with senior editors to oversee the updates of evergreen content;
- Generate ideas for stories and assign articles to staff or freelance writers, as appropriate;
- Assist editors with administration of the editorial team;
- Create compelling entry points to stories, including headlines, photo captions, and more;
- Effectively and proficiently manage a wide range of writers with a diverse set of styles, backgrounds, and experience;
- Work with the editorial team to build out the organization’s roster of freelance writers;
- Monitor story metrics;
- Keep on top of the zeitgeist with regard to reproductive and sexual health, rights and justice, and know what conversations are happening in various online spaces;
- Ensure accuracy and factual integrity in all stories for which they are responsible;
- Work within News’ reporting guidelines;
- Provide frequent reports back to senior editorial staff;
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position demonstrates:
- A minimum of three years’ demonstrated experience assigning, editing, and publishing articles at a news publication;
- Extremely high standards of quality as demonstrated by previous works;
- Ability to adapt to and follow News’ style guide;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- The ability to work well both with a team and independently;
- Experience editing features and long-form journalism, as well as opinion/commentary;
- Knowledge about journalistic ethics and reporting best practices evidenced by a track record of editing and publishing articles meeting the Society of Professional Journalists' Code of Ethics;
- Connections with diverse reporters and writers;
- Impeccable attention to detail and organizational skills;
- The ability to take direction and critique;
- An interest in and understanding of social justice issues;
- Familiarity with online publishing tools, including WordPress;
- Ability to think creatively with story ideas, cross-platform planning, and titles and summaries;
- Must be a strong collaborator, team player, and highly creative thinker with a sense of humor;
- Ability to work remotely and on your own while also being present for your job and meeting your responsibilities;
- Willingness to follow and operate within stated News policies.
Rewire.News is primarily a virtual organization and therefore, candidates for this position must have a home or other location with secure internet access from which to work. However, ideal candidates will be based in either the New York City or Washington, DC Metro areas.
Rewire.News offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes a 401(k) plan with employer contributions; health and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; vacation and sick leave; and employer-paid life insurance, AD&D, STD and LTD. Salary range: $55-60k, depending on demonstrated experience, skills, and seniority.
In addition to your resume and a compelling cover letter that includes why you are interested in this position at Rewire.News, please provide a portfolio or samples of your editorial work.